Child Pages

Home
Up

Scroll down for more ...

UPDATED: 05/07/12                                                                                                    Visitors:  Hit Counter

Kumpf

 

Henry C. Kumpf School
45th & Wabash
Principal:  Eugene H. Bash

The Henry C. Kumpf School was located between Olive St. and Wabash Avenue at 45th Street.  The school opened with framed annexes in 1912 with two teachers in charge.  The location of the school became necessary because of the rapid development of the Oak Park area and the contingent territory to the south and west.  The location was one of the most rapidly developing sections of the city and the school grew rapidly until 1920 when it occupied thirteen rooms all in frame annexes.  The enrollment at that time was more than four hundred students.

At the insistence of the school patrons and careful consideration of the Board of Education, the Board decided to erect a modern building for the school.  The new building became one of the finest elementary buildings in the country when it was dedicated in ceremonies on March 11, 1921.

In the summer of 1867, Mr. Kumpf attended the first planning meeting with William Sheffield and others that resulted in the formation of the Kansas City School District and he became the Districtís first Secretary.  Mr. Kumpf was born in Germany in 1831 and came to this country in 1849, settling in St. Louis.  During the entire period of the Civil war he served in the Union Army working in the Ordinance field.  After the war, Mr. Kumpf came to Kansas City, where he resided until the time of his death in 1904.

Among his other responsibilities, Mr. Kumpf was City Auditor from 1872 to 1875, Comptroller from 1877 to 1880 and Mayor of Kansas City from 1877 to 1880.

Copyright  © 2012, Paseo Alliance, Kansas City, MO                 Page Top